Attribution

&From time to time, I receive an email asking if it’s okay to publish something I’ve written within this blog to a club’s newsletter or website.

I always say “Sure, and thanks!” because there’s no better compliment than to have something here that someone else thinks is worthy enough to be published on their own turf.

Consider this posting as an overall “Yes” to any future requests to do likewise. If you want to mention my callsign as the originator of the article, that’s cool – if not, I’m okay with that too. Unlike two or three other bloggers, I’m not here to make money – it’s all for fun.

An exception, of course, is if you’re publishing to a for-profit venue – which is why I asked my blog to be removed from aggregation on AmateurRadio.com – a website that profits from advertising and uses the efforts of bloggers (who write for free) to generate web traffic and therefore profit for the webmaster. Count me out of that!

Other than that – for free club newsletters & websites – consider what’s here to be freely available to you.

7 comments for “Attribution

1. January 20, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Hi John,

Yes, those “aggregators” are a big problem.
    They claim to be “news websites” or “Resource websites” (like DXZone) but only generate traffic from other people’s work, often without consent from the authors, selling advertisement. As they have a lot of new pages everyday, they’re often highly ranked in the search engines.
    Note that if one of the webmasters of those sites refuses to stop using your content, you can contact Google and make a DMCA complaint.

73,
    Yan.

• January 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Yes I did all the research on that but, to his credit, W1MST did exactly what I asked him to do right away. It amazes me that other bloggers so willingly allow their work to produce income for a 3rd party.

2. Peter March
    January 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Thanks John. Blogs allow anyone to share their ideas and that is a good thing. Over the years, many ham blogs have popped up and some are really good like yours is. Not many are really professional class and so when the bloggist puts copyright notices all over their mediocre stuff I get a big chuckle.
    This is just patting yourself on the back but it get worse when the bloggists puts a donate paypal button on a mediocre blog. Now we get to see some real off air ego tripping. Then the redistributors come in and repost this mediocre material to make their money and it really commercializes and cheapens amateur radio in mass.
    I noticed very few bloggists get comments. The better ones do and to me no comments should tell the bloggist he should blog less and go on the air more. Your blog always seems to have comments John.

It takes courage and moral fiber to say no to all of this aggregator garbage and I pass you many thanks for doing so.

Enough ranting. I will now go back onto HF and do some radio.

Peter March
    Boston ,MA

3. January 22, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Hi Peter – I agree with most of what you wrote though I’m not sure if comment count is a good indicator of interest though It is a good indicator of active engagement. I’m with you on PayPal buttons, “Please buy my book” links, etc – although WordPress automatically inserts a copyright notice.

My chuckle comes from when a blogger, after not posting for a few weeks, finally does so – with an apology to his readers for being tardy. Sheesh – you’re not manufacturing oxygen for us – we’ll somehow manage to be okay if you take a break or close up shop altogether!

OK, enough ranting from me for now ;-) and back to the radio. Isn’t a major DXpedition from Amsterdam Island due to start soon?!

4. Mike D'Armi
    January 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Wow I thought I was the only one who thought these things and agree with all the comments.
    Keep up the honest and thoughtful blogging John!!!

Mike D’Armi. hopefully soon to have ham licence

• January 23, 2014 at 5:29 am

Good luck on your ticket, Mike and welcome (soon) to the hobby!