UV-5R+ – too cheap not to buy

uv5r+At $31 for the next 4 hours (until 2050Z today) the Baofeng UV-5R+ was too cheap to pass up – even for a CW-only HF op.

Even if you just think of it as a weather band receiver, the price tag seems justified. And that’s probably exactly how I’ll use it most of the time since FM repeaters are synonymous with boredom.

Another possible use is APRS from time to time. The freq range of this little HT allows a lot of possibilities other than what VHF/UHF HT’s are commonly used for.

But mostly it’s about the price…any cheaper and it would be free.

An interesting reviewer on Amazon.com says:

It’s basically a $200 radio subsidized by the Chinese gov’t to sell for $58 (and now $31) to ruin the Japanese industry.

Not sure about that but I’m looking forward to receiving it. At the very least its purchase distracts me from the disappointment at not being able to work VU7AG ;-(

Click the photo to go to the Amazon.com site.

7 comments for “UV-5R+ – too cheap not to buy

1. December 1, 2013 at 11:34 am

I thought they were already around $30 John – or perhaps that was the UV3? I haven’t been following these rigs too closely. Truth be told, 2M and 70cm FM are anathema to me but if this is a good deal cheaper than the regular price, I might be tempted in the next few hours.

Dave
    AA7EE

• December 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

This price is $9 off the normal Amazon price – it’ll go back up to $40 soon. I recently sold my FT-857D that I had as a mobile. I never used it as a ham radio – it was my mobile wx radio and was quite an expensive rig for such a role. This one will do for that at a more reasonable price and whatever other non-repeater ops that may come about.

And if I ever need VHF-FM (perhaps during a hurricane or directions to a hamfest/Field Day site, etc) – I’ve got it for a price that won’t dent the bank account.

• December 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

It surely is tempting John, even if for no other reason than to have “in case” (and as you say, the WX option can come in handy).

2. December 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

They are nice little radios – especially for the price. Mine (a 3R+ and a 5R) are used a lot. They work well with the Mobilinkd bluetooth TNC as well.

Julian, G4ILO

3. December 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Some intial thoughts:

This is most definitely *not* a $200 radio. The Big Three from Japan have no need to feel threatened by this little HT. It is, and deserves to be, a $40 radio and nothing more.

But for that price it is a darn good bargain and I have no regrets about buying it. Programming is clumsy at best and I may buy the cable so that I can perform this necessary task more easily. Received audio is full and sounds as if it’s coming from a much bigger radio. I have no trouble hitting the local repeater 7 miles away and can receive multiple NOAA wx freqs with the included antenna.

The manual is brief but at least is in passable English, not Chinengrish. To the rescue are numerous online sources and a YahooGroup so perhaps there’s no real need for a manual at all…

Another miss – in the “Channel Mode” I can see what channel I’m on but not the freq programmed in to it. No problem with the 3 channels I currently have programmed but what if I entered several dozen? As they said in that movie, “This is bad – very bad”.

Still, $40 for a dual-band HT? I can cope.

4. December 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

Today I found them for $29.
    You’re right about being too cheap to NOT buy – and for $30 they really do work great. It isn’t a $300 quality radio, but it is a radio that works well. When I got my license in 1994, the cheapest HT you could buy was a Radio Shack HTX-202 for about $189. I think having these cheaper radios is a great way to get people interested in our hobby.