American hams ordered to cease operations

0laughingIn the latest directive of the US government “slimdown” the FCC has ordered all US hams to immediately go QRT until further notice.

Justification comes from the fact that since a federal entity issued the licenses, the validity of those licenses is subject to the fiscal health of the agency that granted them – the FCC.

Furthermore, according to Charles Wattsworth of the Washington DC FCC Field Office, the word amateur is nearly synonymous with “non-essential” so, while commercial radio and TV stations throughout the US will be allowed to remain on the air, hams – or amateurs – will not.

This directive also applies to any DXpeditions to US-controlled islands, possessions and territories.

According to Wattsworth, any amateur radio operator transmitting after 1400Z on 8 October will be doing so illegally and will, in effect, be considered a bootlegger.

However, since the FCC no longer has the manpower to detect or enforce these infractions, absolutely nothing will be done about it.

Let your conscience be your guide.

12 comments for “American hams ordered to cease operations

1. October 8, 2013 at 9:13 am

I think the “Bureau of Oceans, Environment and Science” is closed too. You should stop to drink, breath and think…
    Despotism is when one mad guy can oppress the people.
    Modern democracy is when a group of mad guys can oppress the people.

• October 8, 2013 at 9:19 am

Despotism is when one mad guy can oppress the people. Modern democracy is when a group of mad guys can oppress the people.

An excellent quote, as we slowly(?) creep from the latter to the former.

2. October 8, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi John — Not sure if you are kidding in this post or not, but if you are kidding, could you please flag it more prominently? I see that you’ve tagged it humor, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some hams took it at face value since your site is a good source of ham news.

After reading the post, I did a quick fact check and was unable to find any mention of any current FCC action affecting hams, other than suspension of processing of routine paperwork. With the skeleton staffing at FCC during the shutdown, the last thing on their minds is the amateur service.

If anyone thinks the post is factual, I’d ask them to cite a primary source.

Tnx es 73,

Jack AI4SV

• October 8, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’d hoped that tagging it with “Humor” tagline and naming my source “Wattsworth” would be enough of an indication of the post’s satirical nature. I’ve been reading too much of http://hamhijinks.com/ I guess… ;-)

3. October 8, 2013 at 10:22 am

p.s. As far as I know, the US Dept of State’s OES bureau and most of the other bureaus at State have remained staffed thus far, having out-year funding to maintain operations for a couple weeks.

p.p.s. I agree — it is a shame about the Wake Island DXpedition.

4. Larry W2LJ
    October 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’ll be proudly on the air while simultaneously making use of the pole that flies my Gadsden flag as a vertical antenna.

• October 8, 2013 at 10:48 am

10m is currently open to Europe, Africa and the Indian Ocean – and I’m bootlegging them all into my log…

• B. Obamavich
        October 8, 2013 at 3:35 pm

10m is “open”? By whose authority?

I’ll see about that.

~BHO

5. October 9, 2013 at 4:56 am

Good morning John, WOW I read your post with surprise and shock! It’s true that the FCC does not have the ability to enforce this but it sure is an eye opener.
    Mike

6. October 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

LOL. Wait until they BarryCade the interstate highway system.

Maybe when the stores run out of food people will notice the PinkSparklyUnicorns are fresh out of manna.