Test video from quadcopter

Phantom_fobPhantom_fobI ordered a GoPro camera for my DJI Phantom a few days ago and it is due to arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I decided to attach a cheap key-fob camera to the ‘copter and see if I could get anything useable.

I didn’t, but it was fun nevertheless.

The GoPro will offer higher resolution and much smoother video and I will take time in editing to match the quality – something I didn’t do here as a $20 vid-cam isn’t worth too much effort in that department. Still, I got to see what might be possible…

As for the DJI Phantom itself – amazing. Easy to fly, smooth, reliable and worth every cent paid. Construction is high quality and the software is error-free. More features offered than I currently know what to do with but I will learn if/when necessary. But right out of the box the flying is darn near effortless.

7 comments for “Test video from quadcopter

1. September 18, 2013 at 1:19 am

Hello John, that is a great video. And although you made it with a cheap camera I think the quality is great if you compare to my homemade vids. Great antennas you have over there. Noticed the windmeter at top of your mast was picking up some wind from the gyrocopter at the end of the video. Nice…73, Bas

• September 18, 2013 at 5:16 am

Hi Bas – the camera is much better indoors with less light for some reason…outdoors, the colors are washed out and very inaccurate. The GoPro will fix that. And you’re right about the wind being generated by the copter – it was a calm day yesterday.

2. Larry W2LJ
    September 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Very cool, John!

Just don’t arm that thing and come to NJ, OK?

Seriously, about how much flight time per charge? Very handy to have for storm damage inspection, etc.

73 de Larry W2LJ

• September 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm

About 8min per charge and I have three batteries. My GoPro camera arrived 2 days ago and the videos are tack-sharp – love it.

• Larry W2LJ
        September 20, 2013 at 9:13 pm

8 minutes – thanks, John. That’s about what my son gets out of his mini remote control helicopter.

3. September 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Nice. When someone comes out with the Antenna-Hanger-Attachment I’ll be VERY interested. [see: http://w4kaz.com/qth/?p=2360 ]

Looks like a lot of fun though.

• September 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I do have antenna-raising on my mind with this thing. The camera that it’s currently carrying tells me that hauling a line over a very tall tree would be no problem at all – it has plenty of lift even with the camera. But, like you say, a solenoid would be required as it would not be possible to go up, over and down with the line still attached since the line would get caught in the props during descent.