Unsolicited rare QSL: VK9XM

Every now and then an envelope from the bureau contains a pearl – an unexpected card from a rare entity for a contact that I hadn’t gotten around to QSLing yet. An LoTW confirmation usually is enough to prevent me from sending a paper QSL.

Such was the case with VK9XM for a contact I’ll remember for a very long time. I had just finished installation of my first-ever tower and Yagi and was tuning around on 12 meters one evening. Very few signals were on the band but I wanted to check the ability of the Yagi on 12m and was looking for someone – anyone – to have a QSO with.

I heard a very faint CQ from what I initially thought was an Australian station. A few W6′s answered him but he called CQ again. This time I copied his call correctly and the Yagi  proved its worth.

Take a look at the card – the fish is made from wrenches, a pulley and other tools:

vk9xm

6 comments for “Unsolicited rare QSL: VK9XM

1. Kevin
    June 24, 2013 at 4:53 am

That’s a photo of artwork in a park in Brisbane. The are several sculptures along the river-walk made with the same technique.

• June 24, 2013 at 6:28 am

Pretty clever. It was my XYL who pointed that out to me – being more interested in the other side of the card (with our QSO info), I had initially thought it was a picture of a fossil.

2. June 24, 2013 at 7:41 am

Really nice contact/QSL John. A real gem in your QSL collection and a nice DXCC on 12m. Some day I will get my beam up again and work some rare DX. 73, Bas

• June 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Or you could operate JT65 and work DX on a simpler antenna…

3. Jonathan W6GX
    July 2, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Nice contact and nice card. I’m still hunting for VK9X for an ATNO. I couldn’t hear VK9XM. In hindsight I should have tried a bit harder. I didn’t realize how rare VK9X is at the time, hi. Congrats on a nice contact.

73,
    Jonathan W6GX

• July 3, 2013 at 7:36 pm

VK9DAC is currently on the air till July 7 – good luck!