DX news sources – free or fee?

dxnews

Years ago, before the internet, I subscribed to a newsletter that was snail-mailed to me weekly. I was too inexperienced as a DXer to make use of much of the info it contained but it was fun to read and think, “Some day…”.

A year and a half ago I subscribed to The Daily DX – a timelier version of the old newsletter – but have since let my email subscription lapse.

For those who may not know, The Daily DX is an up-to-the-minute report of all the latest and upcoming DX happenings. It conveniently appears in a subscriber’s email Inbox every morning.

Also included are reports of unusual paths worked, any unexpected appearances of rare DX stations the previous day and QSL info for obscure stations.

At $28 for a 6-month subscription The Daily DX provides a great read with the morning’s coffee.

I know that a lot of work must go into maintaining and compiling all the info that goes into such a newsletter and for $00.20 per issue, the price is right to have such info delivered to you.

But I got into the habit of also reading two DX-related blogs and one DX-related forum – all of which are free – and seldom (if ever) learned of any DX news in the paid newsletter that wasn’t already on one of the blogs.

Between DX Coffee and DX World – both of which are searchable – all my DX needs are met.

In the meantime, I also do my own compilation for DX news as it relates specifically to my needs. This customized “report” is in the form of a dry-erase board on the shack wall next to the operating desk.

Dates, callsigns and beam headings are listed with color coding indicating if the entity is new overall or just needed for band fills – all accumulated from various sources

I may re-subscribe to The Daily DX simply for the convenience of not having to go looking for info. The current summer slump will be an evaluation period of doing without.

7 comments for “DX news sources – free or fee?

1. June 20, 2013 at 11:37 am

up to date DX news….very easy and clear overview.

73, Bas

2. June 20, 2013 at 11:57 am

And this list is kept current:

• June 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm

John,

Yes, I like the infos on ADXO. I am also used to consult DX World and DX Coffee, and read the OPDX bulletin.
      However, about ADXO, I feel that it lacks some filtering and search features.
      Today you can have some easy to setup pieces of software that can do very nice websites. I, for instance, have setup the http://www.qslwatch.com website using WordPress and with very few modifications to the core programs. That allows me to enjoy all the “database oriented” features of WordPress still not breaking the updates.

73,
      Yan – XV4Y.

• June 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I don’t see a need for filtering since the info is listed in chronological order. I just scroll down and update my whiteboard with the entities that interest me – which means I skip over all the SSB-only, digital-only, 6m-only, etc DXpeditions.

3. June 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hi John,

I like your idea of a board – very functional despite being low-tech. The process of writing stuff there helps one to remember it also. I might start with one myself …

Sverre, LA3ZA

• June 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I don’t put every DXpedition on it – just the ones I’m interested in for one reason or another. I tried a calendar at first but I found a list like this to be better as I can more easily see 3 or 4 months’ info at a glance.