PRASM™

PRASMYou’ve heard of PRISM? Now you can be a contributing member of PRASM™.

As an amateur radio operator, your skills are in demand and are being sought by Peoples’ Radio Amateur Surveillance & Monitoring - a new WorldGovernment agency dedicated to keeping you safe by providing further intrusion into your personal life.

Your fellow amateurs make contacts around the world on a daily basis. Until now, most of these contacts have been unrecorded and uncorrelated with each other. This is entirely unsatisfactory and is in direct opposition to the many (and mandatory) benefits of Orwellian Rule.

Think of it – ham radio is the last remaining method that ordinary citizens have of communicating with one another over great distances without leaving a traceable and verifiable electronic trail.

That being the case, amateur transceivers could be put to use by jihadists, militia members, left-wing wackos, preppers and – most sinister of all – normal people.

This can’t stand!

With their radio and computer expertise, volunteers among the amateur community worldwide are in demand to monitor, record and DF each and every transmission by other hams throughout the world.

“By hams; against hams” is the PRASM™ motto.

SDR technology allows the identification and recording of multiple QSO’s in progress simultaneously across broad sections of the RF spectrum.seal

Additional software can allow stations to be DF’ed as long as the station under scrutiny is received by three or more PRASM™ stations simultaneously. This is done mainly via time-delay differences among the receiving stations.

This data, as well as that from online electronic QSL services and online logbooks, will be maintained and correlated into a vast databank and used to determine operating patterns, sleep habits, socio-political persuasions and more.

A profile can then be developed for each and every amateur radio operator in the world. Behaviors can thus be detected, profiled and corrected by ThoughtPolice local to the perpetrator.

For example:

• Perhaps a DXer is working too many 4X stations. Is this simply an issue of propagation or is he pro-Israel? If the latter, it will need to be corrected.
  • A station in Texas is known to work a station in Georgia each Monday evening. Bubba and Bucephelous are obviously talking about guns. This too will need to be corrected, especially since the states involved are “red”.
  • Chatter on 20 meters picks up every year in mid-December. Are people wishing each other a Merry Christmas? This will most definitely need to be corrected. WorldGovernment will tolerate no competition to its omnipotence.
  • Do stations in NYC operate for long periods of time between breaks during CQWW? If so, their stations will need to be inventoried for evidence of drinking containers larger than 16 oz.
  • A Tokyo ham isn’t working many African stations. Is he racist or does he need a better antenna? Depending on the outcome of a lengthy investigation, Hiro will be provided with either a station upgrade or sensitivity training.
  • Do any amateur stations have a callsign with a suffix of “NRA”, “GOP” or “EDL”? If so, the ThoughtPolice will need to know if this is a random assignment or if it was made by request. Vee have vays of making you schpeak.
  • In some cases the particular equipment in use by an amateur can be determined. Did an amateur spend too much money on his equipment? If so, it is likely that some of his wealth will need to be redistributed. Owners of “top-end rigs” will require additional scrutiny.

As you can see, a lot can be derived from a station’s operating habits – but only if the operational information is made available.

Please consider joining PRASM™. And remember – if you’re not monitoring, you are being monitored.

Or, as the ThoughtPolice cheerfully say: “Nice station you have there – it’d be a shame if anything were to happen to it.”

Ham radio bloggers will also be under scrutiny. Any attempt at satire or ridicule of the policies mentioned above may result in termination of blog without prior notif

15 comments for “PRASM™

1. Lou Axeman
    June 13, 2013 at 10:32 am

This leaves our “right-wing wackos.” Is that intentional?

• June 13, 2013 at 10:38 am

Didn’t ‘militia’ cover that demographic to your Satisfaction™?

2. Charly
    June 13, 2013 at 11:17 am

There are many governments around the world who still suspect amateur radio and keep track of where the stations are and impose other limits. This article may have been fun to write, but it could easily be used against ham radio in places already not trusting the activity as a pure hobby.

• June 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

I think such governments are already aware of the capabilities of shortwave frequencies in their ability to maintain anonymity and global range.

No doubt they make use of it themselves so I doubt if I’m providing any insight to them.

If what I’ve written generates paranoia of governments toward ham radio as a hobby, I consider that a topic outside my very tiny sphere – to acquiesce to such nonsense would be equivalent to elevating its status.

3. Alan Dove
    June 13, 2013 at 11:50 am

Cute spoof, but as someone who grew up practically next door to Ft. Meade, I know that NSA is already full of ham radio operators. In the unlikely event that anyone says anything important on the ham bands, the folks in the Puzzle Palace will have no trouble deciphering it.

• June 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

I’m glad you’re seeing this posting for what it is!

4. Larry W2LJ
    June 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm

John,

You forgot to mention the various sub-categories of Amateur Radio bloggers within our community. Of course, the NSA would only be interested in the category which I was accused of belonging to – “Right Wing Whack-a-loons”.

73 de Larry W2LJ

• June 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I understand, Larry – but everything will be okay.
      Now please report immediately to the local IRS Czar for your audit.

5. June 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Oh my gosh!
    Now I understand the reasons of the pile-up when I call CQ.
    That’s just active monitoring to check how far the vietnamese government has gone brain-washing on me. I must admit they tried hard with huge quantities of ethanol but I’ve been trained hard during my special preparation in engineer school in France.

crypt(73)
    Yan – XV4Y.

• June 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I understand very well the effects of ethanol from my own intensive training in younger days. I still engage in refresher training from time to time – a posting like this is sometimes the offspring of such training…

Stay vertical,

AE5X

6. Charlie, WA2ONH
    June 14, 2013 at 9:56 am

See “Timeline of NSA Domestic Spying” at …

“To be persuasive, We must be believable,
    To be believable, We must be credible,
    To be credible, We must be truthful.”
    … Edward R. Murrow (quote)

• June 14, 2013 at 10:14 am

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State.
      Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

7. John
    July 4, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Back in the early 60’s, when I was a teenage SWL, I sent a reception report to Radio Pyongyang, N. Korea via Radio Peking – a few months later, I received the N. Korea QSL. After that, I started receiving big envelopes stuffed with Red Guard propaganda from R. Peking. In 65, the USPS requested that I fill out a form to register as a receiver of “foreign bulk political propaganda”. I sent the form back unfilled along with an angry letter decrying their use of the Bill of Rights as TP. A year later, the ACLU sued successfully in Federal court to have the rule eliminated. Fast forward 3 years: I was dating a YL whose dad worked as a civilian engineer at a local AFB. He saw my name on a list of “local Maoists” and forbade her (unsuccessfully!) to associate with me. This crap has been going on since before the Palmer Raids and the Red Scares of the 20’s. The NSA (and other country’s security “services”) has been spying on everything as long as the technology has existed to do so. If you are “shocked and surprised” you have not been paying attention. If you are pissed off, then good for you! (although I think rounding up those east coast “KW-Bubbas” on 14.200 would be great, hi hi) FWIW: I would be VERY surprised if almost all governments have NOT been monitoring and recording ham QSOs since the spark gap days…

8. July 4, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Wow – what a story! Did you by any chance save any of the propaganda? I’m sure it would be historically significant to those who study or are interested in such things.

Take a look at this posting (inspired by your comment!):

• John
      July 4, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Heh Heh – naw, those calendars with rosy faced peasants, 50 page diatribes against the “revionist” USSR, little red books and New Year’s (NOT xmas)cards are long gone. The closest thing I have is some old USSR, E. German and Czech QSLs from the early 80’s – gov’t provided stuff with propaganda images… I AM happy to hear that Radio Korea from Pyongyang is still on the SW bands, their diatribes are true retro-Stalinist – although I got a little nervous a few months back when they threatened to rain Nuclear Destruction on us… (Was it something we said?)