Armenia – finally!

ek7dxIt only took 35 years but I finally worked Armenia – a country not rare enough to justify a DXpedition but rare enough to elude me for-itseemslike-ever.

OM Karen is a conscientious QSLer. He was away from home so he emailed me to acknowledge receipt of my PayPal’ed $2 and said he would send out his QSL as soon as he returned home.

The card arrived a couple weeks later.

This one goes on the wall.

7 comments for “Armenia – finally!

1. June 10, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hello John,sometimes you think that some countries can’t be that difficult. But you just have to run into the right one. I wondered if I ever worked or received QSL from EK. So just checking my log and see that I worked Armenia 23 times on 5 bands, but not the station you worked. Of course it’s easier for us to work that country. For instance I think you can work Mexico almost every day. But for me, that’s a difficult one! 73, Bas

• June 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I can almost see Mexico from here!

I’m surprised you have worked EK so many times – I didn’t think there were many active HF ops from there. Not sure why it took so long as I’ve worked all of the countries around EK many times – just not EK till now…

2. June 11, 2013 at 3:39 am

I’ve worked EK7DX and 3 other Armenian stations too. Just goes to prove that one man’s local is another man’s DX!

Julian, G4ILO

3. Larry W2LJ
    June 11, 2013 at 7:46 am

John,

It wasn’t until your post, that I realized I’ve never worked Armenia, either. It’s not like it’s that difficult a part of the world to reach, even with QRP. Like you say, I guess there’s not a huge amount of Amateurs there.

Congratulations on the rare one!

73 de Larry W2LJ

4. June 11, 2013 at 8:17 am

Julian, Larry:
    I think it must also be a factor of limiting oneself to a single mode.

5. Jonathan W6GX
    June 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm

John,

I have EK confirmed however I’m still waiting for my 4J confirmation. The two countries share a border, hi. I have two 4J contacts however I cannot get a QSL card. Both 4J Ops have no email addresses. I don’t know if 4J has a mail theft problem or not. I could keep sending QSL requests but I hope to work someone in 4J that uses LoTW. Like EK 4J is also not rare enough for a large scale dxpedition.

73,
    Jonathan W6GX

• June 17, 2013 at 6:35 am

Yes, 4J is tough to get a card or electronic confirmation from. Fortunately, 4K9W is a LoTW user and I have him confirmed on two bands.