Two very different prices for new ARRL book

arrl_book

From ARRL’s website – add 10.50 for shipping within CONUS

Unless you’re really in love with the ARRL and want to give your money to them, you may want to consider Amazon instead when it comes to ARRL-published books.

For many a moon now I’ve wanted to learn antenna modeling. I’ve tinkered with the programs and read about a million online guides and examples…

But for me to learn antenna modeling, someone’s going to have to take me by the hand and tip-toe me through it.

Gently. Slowly.

Ward Silver N0AX appears to have read my mind – is there anything he can’t do? I like Ward’s writing style and am confident that this is exactly the book I need.

The new book by Ward is Antenna Modeling For Beginners, published by the ARRL in October 2012.

I came within a hair’s breadth of clicking the “Order Now” button but thought I’d do a search for online reviews first. I didn’t find any reviews but the search took me to another source for the book – Amazon.

amazon

Add $0.00 for shipping within CONUS

The ARRL’s price for the book is $35 plus 10.50 to send it to me via the cheapest method. That makes the book $45.50 according to my advanced calulations.

The same book from Amazon is $25.50 and shipping is free.

What a huge difference!

Further comparisons show similar price differences for other ARRL books from these two sources.

My book is on the way – guess who I ordered from – and I’ll have it only two days after ordering it.

10 comments for “Two very different prices for new ARRL book

1. January 31, 2013 at 11:05 am

That’s why I usually just chuck the $10 League store coupon that you get for your birthday. That’s usually enough to cover most of the shipping. Big whoop. As you showed, I can get it through Amazon Prime cheaper and faster.

2. Elwood Downey, WB0OEW
    January 31, 2013 at 11:16 am

Another great author for antenna modeling information was L. B. Cebik, W4RNL (SK). His stuff is still available at http://www.antennex.com. Free samples are available by getting a free guest account then going to the “Guest rooms” and looking through the Antenna Modeling monthly columns.

I’ve been an active antenna modeler since NEC first appeared in the 80s from the Naval Ocean Systems Center. Today my favorite implementation is cocoaNEC, unfortunately for Macs only, but EZNEC for Windows is certainly good also. Modeling antennas is tricky because you are forced to make compromises for which the consequences are often not clear. While it is certainly possible to produce very accurate results for both input impedance and patterns, even more valuable for me is the ability to easily make adjustments and start to get an appreciation for trends as this or that factor is modified. This leads to an ability to design antennas, not just analyse existing ones, and then the fun really begins. Enjoy your journey, I think you will find it fascinating.

3. Charlie, WA2ONH
    January 31, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I concur with pricing differences at Amazon. I search Amazon for various books and look if they have it available under the USED section instead of new. I do have to pay shipping $s but do save 49-60% on the price. Under the USED section, you do have a sliding scale of prices to choose from including more? than the new price? Those “collectors” again!

• January 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I’ve bought a number of books on Amazon used – some of which are no longer available new. Lower prices and the books are brought to my doorstep…what’s not to like!

4. January 31, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thanks for the comments Jason & Elwood.

As I mentioned, I’ve wanted to learn how to model antennas for a long time – it’s a handy bit of knowledge to have – but lately I’ve really wanted to know how my 80m dipole performs on the other bands.

I’m constantly comparing it with my Yagi and the results have been surprising at times. Although the Yagi is usually the better antenna, that’s not always the case…for example, on 12m the Baltic region is equally strong on each antenna, so I know the dipole has a lobe in that direction on 12. Where else might they be on that band and other bands…?

I’m looking forward to comparing the modeled prediction with actual results. Just something else to tinker with…

5. January 31, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I do the same. Plus the shipping service is much better than from the ARRL

• February 1, 2013 at 6:00 am

UPS tracking says I’ll have the book today – a day after I ordered. I don’t know how they do it for that price.

6. February 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Those who have this book – be sure to see the Errata & Corrections page at:

Other info is there as well.

7. Jonathan W6GX
    February 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

The price just went up to $34.95 :-(

73,
    Jonathan W6GX

• February 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Glad I bought it when I did!