My C3 became a C3E today – “E” for enhanced, with an additional element on 10 meters.
I ordered the 10m reflector from Force 12 last Thursday and it arrived on Monday. Assembly and installation took 40 minutes including the raising and lowering of the Yagi.
A trip to the hardware store was necessary as I had to buy two sizes of rivets that were not included. Once the element pieces were riveted together, I measured 31″ from the adjacent element on the C3 and drilled holes for the rivets that would hold the boom-to-element bracket to the boom.
Four 3/16″ rivets secure this component and then the element itself is attached via two U-bolts.
After raising the Yagi with the Hazer assembly, I went into the shack to see how the addition of a new element affected the SWR on the 5 bands. Answer: Not at all.
First contacts were with Spain and Sardinia – S4 on the dipole, S9 on the C3. I realize that’s no indication whatsoever of the modification’s performance but I am planning to try an idea I have of measuring the radiation pattern on its various bands once I get my helpers coordinated.
More about that later…