My tower, thrust bearing and rotator arrived on a truck from Dallas today, right on schedule.
But I’m getting ahead of myself…
I had been planning to buy both the tower and the installation labor from Ken Lovett KF5KLW of East Texas Towers but an ongoing exchange of phone conversations and emails has resulted in me dropping him like a bad habit.
A few months ago, he gave me an estimate for a 50-foot Rohn 25G tower installation of $1600 – parts, labor, delivery – the works. Seemed pretty inexpensive to me but who am I to argue ;-)
That’s back when I was testing the waters and as yet undecided about even getting a tower.
As the tower morphed from fantasy to reality, Ken’s estimate became $2625 for the same tower. Still, I was willing to spend it as it seemed more realistic than the original quote. But for that amount of money, I expected a professional job and started asking detailed questions regarding the installation, foundation, etc.
Upon questioning Ken of those particulars – and only then – I learned that this would be a used tower, disassembled from some other QTH!
“But it’ll be like new!” he says “It won’t be rusted!”
Its history, age and conditions of prior installation would be unknown to me and likely unknown to Ken as well.
This info wasn’t volunteered and was only told to me under questions that most folks wouldn’t even have reason to ask.
If you’ve arrived here via a search engine result for this guy and are considering a tower from him – caveat emptor! Ask many questions.
The Rohn 25 now stacked in my garage is brand-spanking new and all the other details have been worked out. They include labor to dig the hole for the foundation, concrete delivery and bucket truck rental to install the three upper sections.
I’ll save $1100 over Ken’s price for a used tower. This leaves more money to spend toward an antenna than I’d previously budgeted.
That antenna is still undecided and I’m in no rush to make a decision. I think I’ll leave the tower bare to let the concrete solidify for a few weeks. No rush, as I’m still waiting for the Hazer to arrive anyway.
But I am leaning toward a Force 12 C3.