CQ-WPX (CW) 2012

What a great week – returned from a trip to New Orleans, installed a ceiling fan, repaired the riding lawn mower, isolated myself for 16 hours of contesting, then emerged to grill kielbasa on the patio while numerous redbirds flittered about as my CW-addled brain involuntarily assigns Morse characters to their chatter.

Life is good.

So another contest goes into the books – good fun, good activity and decent conditions. Justin, Wes, Franki, Scot…and many others around the globe – thanks for the contacts! As soon as I hit the PUBLISH button, I’ll be having a cold beer in your honor.

Operating conditions here were the K3, kw amp and 10-80 meter dipole up 23m.

721 QSOs later:

• QSO points – 1798
  • Mults – 401
  • Final score – 720998

Countries worked:

• 10 – 12
  • 15 – 55
  • 20 – 40
  • 40 – 45
  • 80 – 4

Logs already uploaded to LoTW, my online log and CQ Magazine. See you all in November.

10 comments for “CQ-WPX (CW) 2012

1. Roberto Genoa
    May 28, 2012 at 7:24 am

OK… what’s a redbird?
    A summer tanager
    or a cardinal (red red red I’m red!)?

• May 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

Cardinals – sometimes a dozen at once.

2. Justin (AJ4MJ)
    May 28, 2012 at 7:51 am

John,

AWESOME results! It was good to hear you on and you were a true 599 on both bands.

My goal was to practice for Field Day, where some friends and I will be operating as WQ4RP. We’ll be backpacking into our site in the NC mountains. Hope to work you again then.

72 de AJ4MJ

• May 28, 2012 at 8:12 am

Sounds like a fun way to do it Justin – what rig(s) will you be using for the trip?

• Justin (AJ4MJ)
        May 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm

K2s for HF, and an FT-817 for satellite/VHF. One of our guys has a KX-3 on order and we’ll use it if it arrives in time.

3. May 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I hope you enjoyed the beer. Cheers!
    I’d settle for that Kielbasa (learned something new here!). Finally we have decent weather here too to enjoy being outside and grill some delicious meat.
    The shack was hot: 26-27°C throughout the contest. Now where did I put that fan?

CU in the next one!
    - Franki ON5ZO

• May 28, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yep, QRO is for winter months! I have a thermometer on the vent output of the AL80B and it was 12-15F above ambient and definitely added to the room’s temp. The amp had a fan and I had a bigger one!

4. May 28, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Congrats with the nice results John. Did only take part for 1 hour sunday evening…73, Bas

• May 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Bas. I only worked two Dutch stations – PA3AAV and PA6XX. See you in CQWW?!

5. May 29, 2012 at 4:47 am

What a weekend getting some honey do list items looked after….contesting and then ending things with an ale. Congrats on the great score!