New oscilloscope on the way

Thanks to my job, I’ve never had any reason to buy test equipment.

All QRP rigs I’ve ever built were aligned using top-grade gear that I could never hope to afford so my only gear here in the shack is a Fluke 87 and an antenna analyzer.

But there have been many times I’d rather be able to work beyond the basic DVM tasks from here in the shack.

I first learned about USB-driven DSO’s (Digital Storage Oscilloscope) about 7 years ago. At that time, they were very basic…crude, even – and not very useful for signals above 5 MHz unless you were willing to pay an astronomical price.

Things have changed since then and these incredibly useful pieces of test gear are now at the point of both quality and price that makes them useful to the occassional QRP builder/tinkerer like me.

Reviews on ham sites and elsewhere are universally positive for the DSO-2250 so one is now on the way to this QTH.

When it arrives I plan to put it up against a more expensive scope at work and see how it compares on a variety of RF signals generated within my KX1 and other sources.

Screenshots of each Рas well as other info derived from the comparisons Рwill be posted here.

6 comments for “New oscilloscope on the way

1. Jerry Palsson
    May 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I see the price has come down a bit since K7QO wrote his introduction to DSO’s (http://k7qo.net/oscilloscope.pdf). It will be very interesting to see what you think of this model.

I wonder if anyone’s managed to get one of these USB-style scopes working under Linux (running Wine, presumably)?

–Jerry AA6KI

• May 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi Jerry – I can’t answer your Linux question but it was K7QO’s write-up that pushed me to make the purchase. I think that since K7QO did his write-up, a newer DSO has been made available from the same source at the 2250’s original price…more than I need as I think the 2250 will serve my purposes.

• Jerry Palsson
        May 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

OK, thanks, John. Maybe someone else will chime in on the Linux matter. I purchased a benchtop DSO for about $100 more — an Owon DS6062. Its software is Windows-only. But at least it has a USB port that accepts a flash drive, so I can capture a waveform without running Windows.

Looking forward to your comments after you get it.

–Jerry AA6KI

2. June 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

John – I’ll be keen to see what you think of this scope after you’ve had some time to run it through some exercises. I am quite in need of such an instrument to make signal measurements in home-brew projects, and this is one of the options I’m considering.

I will, as always, be watching this channel.

Dave
    AA7EE

• June 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I should have it tomorrow, Dave and will test it next Monday when I have some quality lab time. Rather than comparing it to another scope or poking around inside my KX1, I’m just going to use a calibrated sig gen and see if it reads signals of various amplitudes and freqs correctly.

I’ll post photos here to the blog…but you knew that, didn’t you :-)

• June 6, 2012 at 1:17 am

Well of course John. I would expect nothing less :-)