T32C: Clean sweep (CW), QRP/QRO hybrid

The most difficult thing about working the ops at T32C was…..well, nothing about it was difficult at all. They made it easy by having signals that were equal in quality to the ops at the key.

I don’t have an antenna for 160m and therefore wasn’t expecting to get them on that band but heard them calling this morning and what’s a DXer to do? I couldn’t just sit there listening, could I?

The AT2K tuner (that I can’t praise highly enough) was able to present a low SWR to my rig on 160 meters with my 80m dipole.

Loaded the amp up to 500 watts, called and got him on the second call.

40 and 80 meters were done QRP with 2 watts (40m) and 5 watts (80m); 10-30 meters were at 100 watts. They must have zero QRN at their location.

Regardless of the band, the antenna was the same – an 80m dipole up about 65 feet (21m) and fed with 450-ohm ladder line.

Here is a video I made of the 40m contact:

10 comments for “T32C: Clean sweep (CW), QRP/QRO hybrid

1. October 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I was actually thinking to wait working them till the end of this month. But if it is that easy I might try it before. Congrats with the nice DX. 73, Bas

• October 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Bas. I realize T32 is a much more difficult path for EU but on several bands now, I’ve heard them calling CQ over & over with little NA response…in other words, I think the “NA wall” is evaporating which will make it easier for European stations. Fortunatelt, it is a long-term DXpedition rather than the normal 1-2 weeks.

Good luck to you!

2. October 8, 2011 at 8:39 am

Getting them on 160M must have felt very satisfying. Congratulations John.

The only transceivers I currently own are the Norcal 2N2/40, the Fort Tuthill 80 and the Beta of Jason’s CC-20. None of them have dual VFO’s, so you can imagine my joy when T32C was operating simplex in the Oceania DX contest on 40M this morning – snagged ‘em with the 2N2!

Now you’ve got me wondering if I could get them on my Tut80. It does have an RIT swing of about plus and minus 3KHz…….

Great video, by the way John. It’s good to see how the experienced ops do it.

• October 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Excellent, Dave! I’m not sure what your antenna is on 80m but the T32C guys are doing the heavy lifting in that regard. I’ve worked very, very little DX on 80m QRP for lack of trying, thinking it’s not possible…then this. But I’m beginning to realize the Big Guns can be worked QRP.

There’s a rumor floating around that one QRPer has WAC on 160m from a non-coastal area of the US.

3. October 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Great work John I am still trying…no luck as of yet. Oh and here is something funny. I read your post on signals coming from strange places. I then went to this post and was reading not realizing there was a Windows media playing of CW. I heard it through the PC speakers…..had no idea where is was coming from. The K3 and K2 were off…..hmmm could it be a “strange place”…no it was Window media playing playing your contacts….

• October 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Perfect timing, Mike – I planned it exactly that way!

4. Ron Jones K7RJ
    October 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I have a K3 also and it was fun to watch how you use the K3 to its full advantage. I see you have discovered many of it’s slick features.
    Congratulations on T32C. I just completed my 11th contact wtih them, and my first on RTTY. I used the RTTY decoder and CW to RTTY encoder of the K3.
    Thanks for posting video.
    73 and DX to all
    Ron K7RJ

• October 10, 2011 at 7:10 am

Ron, you make me realize how little of the K3 I’m using – I’ve never used the RTTY or CW encoding features and have never attached a mic to the rig. I know that makes me sound like a dinosaur and one of these days I’ll get around to tinkering with other modes – and therefore, capabilities – of the rig but the truth is, it’s such a great CW rig that I’m having all the fun I can stand just on the one mode…

5. Oli, DL1OLI
    October 11, 2011 at 6:43 am

Wow,
    this seems to be easy from the US. I tried several times last week on various bands, but had no luck. But on Saturday on 20 m in SSB I worked T32C after calling 1.5 h. I’m still trying in CW. I heard them good even on 30 m. But no contact until now. So my congrats to you.

• October 11, 2011 at 7:50 am

Oli, I think it must be an easy path as many NA ops who don’t even consider themselves DXers have worked T32C. But with the DXpedition lasting a month, the “NA wall” is probably not such a barrier as it was earlier. Good luck to those of you in EU!